Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Affordable media storage server

Network Storage LinkSince I have a 200GB external hard drive attached to my PC, it has become something like a media server for me, storing my movie and music files, and also actually as a backup drive. To access it on my home network, I'll have to share the drive and my PC will have to be on all day. That's why I've been searching for a way to attach the drive to my router and allow all PCs on my network access to the drive. With this announcement of the Network Storage Link from Maxtor and Linksys, my wait is over. Now, when will it be available here?
...the companies announced a partnership featuring a US$99 Linksys device that lets an external hard drive connect to a wireless router, allowing PCs to tap into the storage and share files without any physical link to the drive.
...
The Linksys Network Storage Link connects to an external hard drive through one of two USB ports and includes a file management system, the companies said. It is designed to work with a wired or wireless network, and to work with other external drives apart from Maxtor products.

No comments: