Sunday, July 31, 2005

School of Rock in Junction 8



School of Rock banner

The School of Rock band competition finals for youths below 19 years old organised by Straits Times was held at Bishan Junction 8. The competition is really a wonderful thing as it allows youths with a passion for music to have a chance to showcase their talents. For the bands that reached the finals, their style range from metal to funk to powerpop. It's really great to see young people with so much musical talent rocking out on stage.


SOR band

It's quite hard to get to the stage so from the photo, you can see that I'm actually pretty far from the stage. Thankfully, they have plasma TV sets so you can actually catch the action from the TV which gives you a pretty close-up view.


SOR TV

The winning band is called 3Dash1. They're a blend of power punk/pop. A 3-piece outfit that reminds me of another local band called Plain Sunset. Their infectious pop-punk ditty inspired the crowd to sing-along, especially the chorus. In fact, I'm so impressed by this band that I participated in the SMS vote and gave them my thumbs up. Their sound is tight and their drummer is pretty solid too. Overall, I'm looking forward to the album that they'll release, since their winning comes with a contract with music label Music & Movement.


SOR winner-3Dash1

I tried to take a picture of the band, but it wasn't really successful. If you look carefully in the photo above, the band is on the stage dressed in green tees. Rock on guys!

Update: After searching a bit on the Net, I found out that 3Dash1 has actually listed themselves on PureVolume, a site where bands can list themselves and show of their tunes. You can even download some of their earlier songs there. They also has their own website on Blogspot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there too! Is 3Dash1 the band who sang a song with the lyrics going like "I think I've got a crush on you..."? Well cause I liked the performance very much and the lead singer was cccuuuttte, heh.

Gremlin said...

Could be... don't remember and can't quite catch all the lyrics. But it's definitely the one with a chrous that everyone can sing-along.