Friday, September 08, 2006

Monuments in Paris, France

Joan of Arc
Who is the most famous female in French history? Has to be Joan of Arc. You can practically see statues of her everywhere in France, from churches, to monuments, to postcards, to mugs. The above is a picture of a statue of the gutsy girl from Orleans who fought against the English... and won.
Arc de Triomphe
Paris is a city of monuments. There are tons and tons of monuments (I bet the amount of rocks used to build these also weigh tons) scattered everywhere in the city. This is the famous Arc de Triomphe, built by Napolean I. I've seen this Arc in pictures, but nothing prepared me when I saw it in person. I was really imposing and impressive. Since my hotel is near the Arc, seeing it on the first day when I arrived in Paris sort of reminded me that... wow, I'm indeed in Paris!
Eiffel
The Eiffel Tower is the symbol of Paris. A tower of steel, you either love it or hate it. Well, plenty of folks certainly love it as the queue to go up the tower is looooong. Because of the queue, I gave climbing the tower a pass. Maybe next time.

No comments: