Monday, December 11, 2006

Harmony for the remote

Sleek harmony
Recently, I spent about S$450 on a universal remote by Logitech. It is the Harmony 885 Advanced Universal Remote. With it, I hoped that it will replace the 7 remotes that I already have cluttering my coffee table.
Family of remotes
The good thing about it is that I have successfully programmed the remote so that I now only need to use one remote to control all the devices that I have in my home theatre. The bad thing is that I had to spend about 2 days to get everything to work as I would like it. Well, it is not an entirely bad thing as once I finally got the concept of how the remote works and how to navigate the rather arcane web-based programming interface, everything was quite a breeze.
Harmony in the cradle
The remote also comes with a cradle, which means that I can put it in the cradle to charge when the juice runs out. It runs on a rechargeable battery which means I don't have to worry about finding fresh batteries for it. With the LCD screen, it seems that if it was running on normal batteries, I will have to change them pretty often.
Harmony Remote
My verdict for this device? I love it. It is one of my gadget purchase that makes things really easy to use. It is also something that my wife can use on a daily basis. The price is a bit on the high side, that's true, but this is a high end model with a colour screen.

No comments: