Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Apple-a "switcher" to Intel

The biggest news for the Mac community these days is Steve Jobs' announcement at the WWDC that Apple will switch over to using Intel chips from their current IBM chips. Almost every tech website and every other major news site reported on this, and many are offering reasons why this is a good move, a bad move, a smart move, and many more.

For me? Well, since I just started becoming a Mac user (my days in the Uni can count but I didn't have my own Mac then and it was still using the Mac Classic OS), this switch doesn't really mean much, other than perhaps that my next Mac will may carry the "Intel Inside" branding. The truth is that it doesn't matter to me whether the chip is a IBM chip, an Intel chip, or even a potato chip. As long as it can run my applications, run the Mac OS (which I am quite fond of now), and do my tasks, I'll be happy. And if switching to Intel means that future Mac hardware will be faster, better, and perhaps cheaper, well, then I'd say it's a great move.

Oh, and thank goodness I didn't wait an update for the iBook to be announced, and went ahead to buy my current PowerBook. With this announcement, it seems like there may not be new notebooks on the horizon until the Intel-powered models are ready. I could be wrong, but we'll see.

No comments: