Wednesday, May 11, 2005

My new Powerbook 12" and my first Mac

I've got my new toy and it's called the Powerbook. I've plonked down some cash to replace my old Fujitsu notebook which has gone to notebook heaven. If I still can get Linux to install on it, I'll really have to sell it to the garang guni (rags n bones man).

So, this is the PB still in the box. Okay, it has been opened since I've asked the shop that I purchase it from to add some RAM giving my device a whooping 1.25GB of RAM. That, and the whole Powerbook, should serve me well for at least another 4 years.

This is the PB freshly unpacked out of the box. I've not even configured the device. In the background to the left if you can make it out is actually my old Fujitsu and its CD-ROM drive.

I'm quite impressed by the construction of the PB. The anodised aluminum case is nice to touch and the whole thing just feels solid. It is heavier and thicker than my old Fujitsu but you have to factor in that this baby has a Superdrive included. I've plans to burn a number of DVDs, if you know what I mean.

Although I've used a Mac back during Uni days, this is actually my first personal Mac, and also my first personal brand new notebook. The Fujitsu one is a second-hand I bought when I was in CNET.

Anyway, setting up this device is quite simple. Mac OS X Tiger is preinstalled and it didn't take me long before I could connect to my wireless network and start surfing the Net. I didn't expect it to be that simple! It also didn't take me long to connect to the shared folders on my WinXP desktop-cum-server.

Next up is trying to get VNC to work so that I can control the WinXP box remotely from my living room. Also have to learn other functions, and provide more photos in the near future.

No comments: